Wednesday 22 February 2012

21st Un-Birthday Tea Party Extravaganza - Mustache Mugs!

Have you ever wished you could wander around with a magnificent handle bar mustache? Wanted to wake up sporting Guy Fawkes-esque facial furniture? No? Oh. Awkward.

*Cough.*

Anyway, for those of you awesome enough who have wanted those things, then this is the tutorial for you! Mustache Mugs. Cheap mustache mugs!


I encountered a few problems with these babies so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get a set done. I didn't, and now I have to make so many repairs it's ridiculous.

You will need: A set of plain white mugs (I ordered the Smartprice ones from Asda Online,) good quality ceramic paint (I cannot emphasise this enough - I made the mistake of using a ceramic pen and that was the root of my un-doing!)Thick and Fine paintbrushes, A Mustache Style Guide.

1) Draw the outline of your favoured mustache style on to your mug. I used a Promarker (because my ceramic pen was pure let-down) for all of my mugs, but please, please, please make sure you use good quality ceramic paint!


2) Fill in the outline with paint. It will look transparent (this is a project that requires drying time and patience!)


3) Once the first layer has dried, re apply, allowing that layer to dry and repeating until you have achieved the level of opacity that you want!


4) Repeat for the rest of your mugs!

TIPS: Make sure the paint you are using states clearly that it is wash-proof. You don't want to dunk your mugs for all your hard work to literally come off in the wash. Like mine... But that is another story. Learn from my mistakes! I have to pick up some actual ceramic paint and go over my designs again.

The moral of this story is: don't take short-cuts. Sigh.


Have fun making your own set of Mustache Mugs!

♥ Rachel ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment