Tuesday 19 July 2011

The End. (Of an Era)

Today was the end of an era for me; my brother and I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2) and- for me especially- it was a Moment to Remember.


I am proud to say that I am a member of the Harry Potter generation. I started reading the books when I was eleven (by then The Goblet of Fire was out in paperback.) I heard on the grapevine that J.K Rowling intended her audience to grow with the characters, which was why she introduced increasingly darker elements with each new book, until the release of The Deathly Hallows, which was the darkest of all of them. By that point, her characters and audience were mature enough to deal with war, death, love and loss.

At the time I was reading the last book I was looking after my mum post-op. My cousin saw that I needed a moral-booster so bought the book for me. I recall sitting in the livingroom, surrounded by visiting family members, crying because /SPOILER!/ Dobby had just died. /SPOILER END!/ It was so sad. Then I looked up and saw my family laughing at how involved I was getting with a book, and I felt relieved that I was blessed with them. I was - and am- truly blessed.

The thing is, now that it is over I feel OLD. At the end of the last book /SPOILER!/ they are shown 19 years later to have kids and the like. /SPOILER END!/ Having grown up with these characters, it is daunting to think that they are old enough to have children. As stupid as it sounds, it makes me question my future. My childhood is officially over, and I must step up to the plate and become a hard-working, responsible, mature adult of the world.

I'll be honest, I don't feel up to that yet!

So to you Harry Potter fans (and to those of you who hate it) I say this: good luck to you! Becoming a grown-up is frightening, but I am sure we will all manage it!

In other news I have finally watched Firefly in its entirety, as well as the feature length film, Serenity. I'll be honest, if Harry Potter marks the end of my childhood then Firefly marks my beginnings as an adult. I can not praise it more! The series and film were quite different in tone and subject matter, and it seemed to me that in Serenity the characters had lost some of their plausibility- certainly they became more 2D. However, it didn't fail to frighten me near to death with the constant barrage of REAVERS. They make me want to cry! (They remind me way too much of the infected in 28 Days Later, a film- anyone who knows me will tell you- that I loathe and fear in equal amounts.)

But I digress. It is certain I have a new obsession at any rate...♥


Hello Captain Malcom Reynolds! ♥ (I apologise to my boyfriend...)

Enjoy!

♥ Rachel ♥

Enjoy Harry Potter gossip here at Mugglenet

More information on Firefly on it's Wikipedia page /SPOILERS!/

No comments:

Post a Comment